Thursday, April 1, 2010

ECU = Heart attack

I know my blogs are slowly becoming about baseball, and well we already have one baseball player blogging. I hate to say it but it is becoming my life, seeing as how I am at a game 4 out of 7 days usually. Last night though was the most intense game I have ever witnessed and that was against ECU. I don't know about many of ya'll but I cannot stand ECU. I think they are a dirty school who has good sports but the rudest fans ever.

Last night, not only did I almost get in a physical fight with silly fans behind us, but there was almost a brawl out on the field. Our guys are very intense players and last night's game was a struggle to stay in the dugout. From the start of the game, the fans were heckling us like crazy. Even with the 8 to 1 pull out, the fans would not let me forget where I was. The game took forever, with five innings completed in two hours. The young men behind me kept saying how slow the game was and I said then go home and they told me to shut up and turn around. HOW RUDE! Especially with all of the parents around them, it was like these guys sat there just to push us around.

Maybe I am one to blame the umpiring, but last night's was TERRIBLE. It was unbelievable how on both sides the umpire was calling obvious strikes balls. Mid-way through the game UNCW pitching coach calmly walked out to the mound and said that he did not have anything to say, just wanted to yell at the umpire when he came up to warn them. When that happened, the coach went all out talking about how awful he was and then proceeded to home plate to brush it off and throw his hat down. This was all after he had been thrown out already. But the part that makes me the maddest and caused an all out brawl is when the ECU head coach came running onto the field after their batter was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. He thought it was intentional but really why would UNCW walk in a run intentionally? He had to be held back by the umpire and attempted to claim the UNCW dug out was starting something along with Coach Scalf, who was walking out to change a pitcher. For five more minutes, he proceeded to yell and cuss and the entire ECU team was on the field. And he did not even get thrown out.

I am not complaining about the game because UNCW did come from behind to win in an extreme nailbiter. I am extremely disappointed by the disgusting nature of their fans. They were all out rude and absurd. Most of them proceeded to cuss and dirty talk players' parents. THEIR PARENTS! I am all for some good hecklers, but you do not turn to players' family and cuss them out or treat them rudely, especially if they are just watching a game. I was very excited to see our hecklers out there loud and proud, but the rudeness they received as did I makes me not even want to return to ECU. Half way through the game I was ready to leave. I was actually worried for my parents to walk through the stadium to leave because of the grief we had already received. A game's atmosphere should never be that way. An intense game is high quality. It is the type everyone hopes to see. And for the team to have pulled out the win made it even better. But for visiting people to be scared to leave and to not even want to watch a good game because of the comments made toward them is just rude.

I am proud to say that UNCW's much smaller stadium provides a better atmosphere. We heckle and yell, but we do not scare. We allow the visitors their own section, as well as a good piece of mind. No one should ever fear being a fan of whomever they support, whether it is on their home turf, or away. That is all for the baseball blogs. Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. That's absolutely ridiculous!!!!!! There is nothing like sitting outside and watching a baseball game. I grew up watching my brother play and I believe that it is very therapeutic. I am sorry that your night was anything but that. Bad fans are never a good thing and sometimes people take heckling way to far. Their behavior was unnessasary and I understand why you don't like the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! That does sound very intense! Being a avid sports player growing up mainly in softball, i can completely understand the frustration that occurs once the fans start getting involved. My motto has always been its a players game, so let the players just play the game. I am not a fan of ECU either, and i think that by their poor sportsmanship and their rudeness it proves even a bigger reason to not like them....at the college level you would think people would grow up some and actually act professional and mature....guess not for the pirates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a very intense game. I can't believe those fans acted that way. I remember a volleyball game we played freshman year of high school that had fans that acted like that against us. Only it was the parents that were acting ridiculous. I'm glad you guys made it out of their okay and the UNCW was able to pull out a win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that we won that game. It was really unbelievable how that game turned out. First with us beating up on them and then turning it around. There is no better feeling than oing up there and beating the crap out of those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ECU is a dirty school!! There is nothing wrong with having some school pride at all. People just don't know how to act sometimes. I commend you and your teamates for keeping your cool because at the end of the day you are representing UNCW and you must keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete