Thursday, April 15, 2010

Love Unconditionally

I have two of the most amazing dogs in the world. My babygirl Cleo and my little boy Barney. Cleo is a golden retriever who was my first puppy ever. She is spoiled rotten and knows it. Barney is a boxer-mutt who we adopted and is the sweetest boy ever. It is amazing how much I miss them when I am in Wilmington. I am constantly asking my parents to send me pictures just because.

Just recently we found out that Cleo has cancer. They found it on her tongue, which they have never seen. Originally they did not give her long to live but looking at it more they expect to get the cancer fully with little treatment required. Cleo, like most goldens, is epileptic and has a thyroid disease (finally it explains why she is fat... not because we over-fed her!). She has lived with both for years. Completely normal dog. This was like a stab to my heart. My sweet girl who is the closest thing I have to a sister is sick. It tore my whole family up. And yet she still thinks she is a puppy needing constant attention. In the past two weeks she has been shaved, poked, proded, tested, and now gone through surgery. Has not phased her a bit. She just thinks she is getting even more attention than usual.

All of this got me thinking about how we hold pets, especially dogs, close to our hearts. They are our family and almost always the ones who are there for us no matter what. You have a bad day and they are right there to love you... or make you scratch them. Nothing makes me as happy as to wake up in the morning and see Cleo laying next to my bed waiting for me to get up and play with her. Barney will climb up on the couch and curl right up next to me. He is not a needy attention wanting dog but when he comes up to me and begs me to scratch him, there is no way to say no. Dogs are the most amazing creatures because unlike some humans, they love unconditionally. You take care of them and in a way they take care of us.

If there is one thing that tears me up it is when people mistreat dogs. If you feel as if you can take care of a dog, truly love that dog. They are always there for us. We need to make sure that we will be there for them too. I love my babies so much. I am sure that Cleo will pull through. She is 10 years old and probably will eventually die from this but for now I cherish the time I have with her. I love my sweet Barney too. I was the one who found him and was so happy to have saved him. But if there is one great thing I have learned from these two creatures is to always love unconditionally.

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I understand completely what it is like to love your pets unconditionally and wanting what is best for them. I've had my dog since I was 13. He's definatley a part of the family. We got him from the pound and they told us he was almost a year old. We suspect that he endured some sort of abuse when he was puppy. He is still, after 9 years, submissive. He gets freaked out easily and if anyone raises their voice around him he puts his tail between his legs. We have spoiled him to pieces and still can't break him of being scared. He also hates to be alone. He gets very anxious when he's by himself. I love him though and will never be able to replace him. I hope that things turn around for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how much your dogs mean to you. Seeing how happy they make you can not be compared to anything else other than unconditional love. I know that it seems like a tough time but I know also that Cleo will be fine because she has a great family taking care of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These kind of stories make me so sad. I grew up with dogs, but haven't had one since I moved out to go to school. I want to wait to have a nice yard and such before I get some pups, so they can run free.

    It really is amazing the connections you make with pets and that they make with you. It is so hard to watch them go or suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our pets really are a part of our family. I swear my parents talk about our dogs more often than they talk about my brother and I. Sherlock (Great Dane) and Friskie (Australian Terrier) are their pride and joy, haha. I'm sorry to hear about Cleo! I know how much your dogs mean to you! I'm sure she will be fine with you there to care for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for the toughness for your family with Cleo. I have gone through a similar problem with my family pet as well. My childhood Dalmatian we had to put down because of bowel movement problems. She was old. Have Yarnell my lab really made it easier to deal with when it happened since I could not be there to say goodbye.
    Training dogs is my passion. I have learned what unconditional love is by having my wonderful dog. He has always been there for me and he will love me no matter what. Just like you have said, if you give your dog love and respect you will get it in return. Yelling at a dog or hitting it will not solve anything but just make it harder to train. I have seen neglect and wrong treated animals and it kills me. I hope all goes well with your wonderful golden, Cleo. She will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry this happend to your pet. I have never a had pet before but I see how easy it is to get attatched to dogs. They become apart of our familes because they take on their own personalities and bring life to our homes. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete